This first book I think Jack has made us read to him every night since we got it. I have to admit that the illustrations are amazing! The book, Block City, by Robert Louis Stevenson is actually a poem. Do you recognize the author's name? He wrote Treasure Island (yes, the classic from the 1800's). Apparently, he also wrote this poem, which illustrator Daniel Kirk put into a book. The poem is short and sweet, but the illustrations show just how awesome a child's imagination can be when playing with blocks. 
The second book I am not so fond of, but Jack loves. Maybe it's because his name is in the title? Whatever the reason, I'm sharing it with you, because even if I don't like it, my three year old continues to want to read it, which means it must be good for something! This book, written by Peter Mandel, is about, you guessed it, Jackhammer Sam! If I were creative, I'd create a tune to read this too because it really is written like a song. I think Jack's favorite part is a repetition of phrases like "atta-batta-binga-bong, atta-batta-dinga-dong". I even caught him singing this to himself in the car once last week. It's kinda catchy. It's almost like a modern Paul Bunyan because the whole book is a hyperbole of what Jackhammer Sam can do with his jackhammer. Check it out! Maybe your kids will love it too!

No comments:
Post a Comment