The Very Clumsy Click Beetle is part of Eric Carle's "The Very..." series. I had never heard or read this one before, but it was really cute (just like his famous The Very Hungry Caterpillar). The end of the book makes clicking noises which is fun for the kids. The illustrations are great and the predictability of the text makes it fun to read with the little ones.
We got "Room on the Broom" by Julia Donaldson because it was one of 2 left in the Halloween section at the library. This is a really cute book! The premise is that various animals ask the witch if they can ride on her broom. She says yes, but it gets so full that it breaks and they all fall out of the sky. A dragon comes to eat the witch, but she is saved by a mysterious swamp creature (i.e. all the animals together in a disguise to scare the dragon). I thought it was a fun Halloween book and not scary at all.
I didn't know "Two Little Trains" by Margaret Wise Brown was a classic when I checked it out. I just saw trains in the title and thought a boy would like it! The illustrations are really well done. They have a Chris Van Allsburg feeling about them. Very simple text, repetition and cadence make this book a fun one to read. I think it was originally written in 1947 or something like that.
This last book "Iggy Peck Architect" was Jack's favorite of the bunch. The illustrations have a vintage vibe (kinda like If I Built A Car) but in a different way--more 1920's than 1950's. Anyway, the story is about a boy named Ignatius Peck who loves to build buildings from the time he was in diapers. When he gets to second grade, his teacher forbids any architecture in her class and he is bored to death. They go on a class picnic and something happens than enables Iggy to save the day (I won't spoil it for you). The whole story rhymes which makes it fun to read and the illustrations capture the young audience!




No comments:
Post a Comment