For book club this month, we are reading Galileo's Daughter. It's a very good book, but I'm only about 1/2 way done and the meeting is a week from today. I'm in here blogging because the Presidential Debate is on right now and I get too emotional and charged about it, so I needed a break.
But I do have some comments I'd like to post about the book, even though I haven't finished it. For those of you who really know me and Rusty, you know that the only TV we watch is pretty much on Channel 8 (PBS). We actually became "Friends of 8" just to support the only quality TV left. Anyway, on Tuesday nights at 8 (most of the time) is a show called Nova. If you haven't seen it, you should check it out. This last Tuesday night it was a fascinating show about how there is a black hole in the center of our galaxy and they have found a black hole at the center of about every major galaxy known. I may have heard this before, but didn't really know what a black hole was or why it was significant that it was at the center of the galaxy.
Anyway, it got me thinking about Galileo. First of all, I think he was a brilliant man, but he was also a very faithful man. His discoveries in science did not negate his belief in God. He could reconcile the two very easily. In fact, he worried that there would be a division between science and religion that didn't need to occur (which in fact, for the most part, has). But I can't imagine how amazed Galileo would be to look through the telescopes and other technologies we have today. Isn't it amazing that we can see GALAXIES? I really can't wrap my brain around it, any more than I can wrap my brain around black holes. And to think, sometimes we think we know it all!
There is so much out there we are unaware of or don't understand. I do believe in God and it amazes me that He understands everything. I suppose it takes an eternity to do, but still it's amazing. And when I think of the infiniteness (is that a word?) of the cosmos, to imagine that God actually cares about me, it's pretty amazing. Not only does God care about me, but I believe He cares about all his creations, which are innumerable!
I don't feel like my feelings are being articulated very well in this blog, but I am enjoying the book and it is causing me to look at the broader picture of life and the world. So yeah, I may get upset at the current politics of our country, but it sure is amazing just to be alive, isn't it!?
1 comment:
Great comments!! It is truly amazing to be alive- even if it feels like things are spiraling out of control! I simply cannot fathom all that our universe entails- it is ANOTHER thing that I leave to God and have faith that I will understand someday! I am reminded, through reading the book, of the timelessness of some issues, intellectual thought, science, spirituality and questioning!!
I am less than half way through and I hope to finish the book in time for our meeting!
Post a Comment