Monday, October 20, 2008

Our First B&B Experience

Last weekend was October Break and we had Thursday and Friday off. Rusty and I decided to take a quick trip to southern Arizona before I got too big and didn't want to travel anywhere. We vascillated between staying at a resort we like in Tucson, or trying out a bed and breakfast somewhere. Rusty's always wanted to check out some abandoned mining towns down south, and we knew if we stayed at the resort we'd never leave. So the B&B it was.

We researched a few in the area we wanted to go and decided on one called the Dusquesne House. It was a gamble because it didn't have a website and only a couple of pictures. But it turned out to be a great pick. Found in Patagonia, Arizona, this adobe house was built in 1898 by the founder of the town. It was built as a bording house, so it was nice because we had our own suite. There was a front room with 2 day beds that we did our reading in, connected to the bedroom with a private bathroom off the back. It was only $125 a night and included a full gourmet breakfast in the morning.

The B&B was also only a couple blocks away from the main street, so we just walked to the restaurants and arts festival that was going on that weekend. It was really relaxing, and we did spend a day driving around checking out the old mining towns.

There's a couple reasons I'm putting this on my "Reading" blog. First, we met some really neat people over breakfast in the morning. Friday morning we met the owners of Changing Hands bookstore in Tempe. They were there for a relaxing few days as well. We started talking to them because their license plate said "BOOKS", so Rusty thought one of them was a librarian. Turns out they own one of the last privately owned bookstores in the valley. We learned a lot about the publishing industry and Rusty came away with 2 books that Gayle gave him. She insisted he take them because of some of the things we talked about that morning. Anyway, that was really neat. I think staying at a B&B is so much better than a resort because you actually meet people in an intimate setting.

Second, for book club this month we are reading "These is my words", set in southern Arizona from 1881 to 1910 or something like that. Driving around these old mining towns and reading about the people who lived there really gave me a feel for the setting of this book. I have read the book before, but it's nice to read it again with a fresh perspective on it!

If you're ever looking for a relaxing weekend getaway, let me know and I'll give you the info for this B&B--I highly recommend it!

5 comments:

Kami Milliron said...

How are you feeling ? When do you find out what your little peanut is ?

The Weights said...

Sounds very delightful!! We may have to get that info. from you for sometime in the FUTURE! I would love to hear more- and I think it is so cool that you met those people!

Kristina Johnson said...

Thanks for the comments you left on my blog. It was good to hear from you. And congrats to you! My mom tells me you guys are having a boy. I'm so excited for you all. Boys are a lot of fun. Take care and keep us updated on the baby stuff.

Debbie said...

Nancy, I found you via Kami's last post from your post. After reading it I knew that it had to be from you. What a wonderful tribute to the Lulloff's. Congrats on the baby. That's so great.

Unknown said...

Brighton read These is my words and really liked. Glad you like the B&B experience - ditto. Remember, I still wanna borrow galileo's daughter! Nice tribute to Earl. Well said.