Sunday, September 7, 2008

Empress Orchid


I actually started reading this book before I read Water for Elephants, but I stopped in the middle of it. I finished it a couple weeks ago, but just haven't gotten around to writing about it.
It's a historical fiction set in China around 1860. Empress Orchid's father is a governor of a part of China, but his title is stripped and he eventually dies leaving her family homeless and poor. They carry his body in a coffin to Peking (now Beijing) to bury him. While in Peking, she gets chosen to be a concubine for the Emperor, who is in his early twenties. She moves to the Forbidden City and settles in living there. Life in the Forbidden City is not all it's cracked up to be. She definitely has more than she would of had she not, but she's lonely and spends most of the time by herself with her eunich (servant). Eventually, she woos the Emporer into her bed, which is what all the concubines want and fight over each other for. She does get pregnant and bears him his only son. She also gets involved in the politics of the country, which is totally taboo for the women to do, but is instrumental in helping the Emperor.
There are a lot more details, but what I found was interesting was the history of China during this time. I know I learned some history of China in school, but I really had no idea how it worked. This was after the Opium Wars and European forces were trying to open trade with China, especially for Opium. They fought for ports on the seaside and essentially got them because the Emperor was so out of touch in the Forbidden City. He really had no idea how the common people (peasants) lived or how to have foreign relations. China's dynasties had existed for thousands of years under the same system, that they just couldn't change with the times. Eventually, the Forbidden City fell to the occupiers and the Emperor fled and died.
Like I said, the story was interesting, but it took me a long time to get through. I just felt like it wasn't very gripping. I think it lacked a serious conflict. I have the sequel, and really wanted to read it when I got it, but I think it'll be a while before I pick it up. I guess I'm just lazy and want a quick, easy read most of the time!

No comments: