Thursday, March 24, 2011

Girl With a Pearl Earring

I read a book of Tracy Chevalier's last year. See here. I enjoyed that book and so was expecting to enjoy this one as well. She did not disappoint.

The story is another historical fiction set in 17th Century Holland. The inspiration for the story is a Vermeer painting with the same name (see the cover of the book). I had heard of Vermeer because I read a kid's book a while ago called "Chasing Vermeer". I had never heard of him before, even though I took lots of art history classes in college. (At one time I wanted to get a Master's in Art History).

Anyway, Chevalier does a fantastic job of describing Dutch life at this time. In her fantasy world, the girl with a pearl earring is actually one of Vermeer's maid. Obviously there is no historical basis for this, and actually very little is known about Vermeer. Which makes him a perfect artist to write a historical fiction about because we really don't know who his models are and what the stories are behind the paintings.

I was intrigued from the beginning and Chevalier kept me gripped all the way to the climax of the plot. It's definitely not a page turner, but it's such an interesting setting and idea that you can't help but want to find out what happens next. Although I think a lot of the ladies in the book club didn't particularly like the book, it certainly caused a lot of discussion, which really made it endearing.

No comments: