The book is set in New England and switches between the 2 main characters: Delia (the Senator's wife) and Meri (a young married woman who moves in next door). Basically, Delia has lived separated from her husband for the past 20 years after multiple affairs. They stay married and continue to see each other from time to time. It's an interesting relationship to say the least. Meri has just married Nathan who is a college professor in history. He gets a good job and they move to this college town. Meri gets pregnant and deals with all that entails. I don't want to go into too much detail, but reading the book makes you think about what marriage is all about.
Today in church we had a lesson about strengthening marriages. There were a lot of words of wisdom shared, and I contemplated my own. I think I could fill up pages and pages of marital advice, not because I'm an expert, but because I feel like I've had a lot of experiences in the almost 9 years we've been together. Also, Rusty's little brother is getting married this Saturday, and watching newlyweds, you can't help but think of yourself at that stage. They always seem so young and naive--and they are--but so were we. It's just hard to believe we've come this far. So marriage seems to be the topic these days, and without boring you with my awesome words of wisdom, I'll just say this: I love Rusty now more than ever and I've very happy to be married to him. Thank goodness I'm not Meri or Delia, because I wouldn't have wanted either of their lives!
No comments:
Post a Comment