The author, Jonah Lehrer, writes about various artists who basically understood scientific theories before the science really did. Part of the reason I had a hard time with this book was there were few of the artists I had any experience with. The first one he writes about is Walt Whitman, who I of course had heard of. But I hate poetry, so I didn't really have a lot of experience with Whitman. Another author, George Elliot, I have never read, and after reading this book, I don't really have a desire to either. Same goes for Proust. I guess I'm just not the artsy type! Or you could say, I guess I'm just not the more educated type. Anyway, it really was an interesting book that pointed out interesting ideas.
My favorite chapter was about a famous chef (don't remember his name), but it was all about food and how the chef understood the science behind taste without having to do scientific experiments to get it. He did experiments with food in his kitchen, but learned basic tried and true culinary practices that are still practiced today. I couldn't pronounce half the words, but it sure was interesting and made me think about what I eat and why.
So, if you're looking for a non-fiction to read, this is a good one. I'm just not a non-fiction kind of girl!
No comments:
Post a Comment