Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Thirteenth Tale

I'm on a role! I can't believe I read another book in only a week. It's nice to be in a reading groove again--I don't think I have been since before the baby.

Anyway, this book, written by Diane Setterfield, is a very interesting read. It was gripping, mysterious, and dark. There were many turns in the plot that kept you guessing and captivated. Perhaps that is why I was able to read it in a week!

Basically, it's about a very famous author in England (fictional of course) who is a recluse. No one knows where she came from or who she really is. She offers many interviews a year and in each one she tells a different story, so everyone knows it's not true. This author, Vida Winter, is dying, and decides to finally tell her story. She chooses someone to write her biography for her. The book is the biography that she wrote, except it's not your typical biography. Margaret, the biographer, is trying to figure out the truth within the story and as she does, she discovers things about her own past as well.

I know this is a pretty ambiguous summary, but there are too many details to include! I highly recommend this book. It's got the feel of something like Wuthering Heights, I'm not quite sure why, but it just does for me. Definitely two thumbs up!

No comments: