Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sarah's Key

Sarah's Key, written by Tatiana De Rosnay, is a book that switches from 1942 Paris to contemporary Paris. In July of 1942 there was a round-up of French Jews by the French police. They sent the Jews to camps in France and then ultimately to Auschwitz. Anyone sent to Auschwitz didn't come back alive. What was alarming about this round-up was the number of women and children involved. It was so sad to read about.

The main character in the book, Julia Jarmond, is an American who had been living in Paris for 25 years. She married a French man and had a daughter. She was a journalist for a magazine that asked her to research the round-up for the 60th anniversary of it. While doing her research, Julia discovered the story of Sarah, hence the title "Sarah's Key".

I will not lie--the first 1/2 of the book was so depressing I could only read a couple pages at a time. I have read many Holocaust books in the past, but for whatever reason, this one was especially hard to take. Maybe it's because I'm finally a mother now. I always thought the idea of families being ripped apart was terribly sad, but now that I can imagine someone doing that to me and Jack, I can barely stand it.

The second 1/2 of the book was not nearly as depressing, but the switch from 1942 to current stopped and it just stayed in the current time period. I found myself missing the point of view of Sarah. I wanted to read more of her story, not Julia's. Julia becomes a little obsessed with Sarah's story and I found it a little unrealistic.

It was an interesting book, but I'm not sure I'd consider it a fave. Too sad at the beginning, too unrealistic at the end. But you'll have to read it to see if you agree!

No comments: