Monday, June 29, 2009

A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN


I finally finished it! I have been reading this book FOREVER! It took me at least a month to read the first half and then I finally got into it and read the last half in about 2 days. I have no idea why it took me so long to get into it. I think it had more to do with me than the book.


Written by Betty Smith in the 40's, this book is considered a modern classic. There is nothing spectacular about the plot--it's just a story about a girl growing up in Brooklyn around 1914. I found the description of Brooklyn at that time fascinating. I've never been to New York, but I could definitely imagine it during that time.


The main character, Francie, grows up in poverty. Her parents are children of immigrants. Her father is an alcoholic and ultimately dies from it, although she absolutely adores him. Her mother works as a janitoress and wants her children to be educated so they don't end up like her. The division of classes in the country during that time seemed inescapable, yet somehow, poor people managed to get an education and make better lives for themselves.


I think one of the themes from this book is that education is the key to a better life. I have to agree. We are so lucky to live in a country that has student loans, grants and other ways to fund education. I think Americans totally take for granted the opportunities they have. Of course, I still think there is somewhat of a class system; how many Harvard grads have at least one parent that was a Harvard grad? I'm sure the percentage is something they don't want published! (Watch the documentary "Born Rich" for some interesting insight into that world!)


Anyway, I did enjoy the book, but just wish it hadn't taken me so long to get into! Let's hope the next one doesn't take that long!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I liked the book too, but didn't love it enough to put it on my classics shelf. What's next on your list?