Saturday, January 15, 2011

Half Broke Horses

I just finished reading this story today. I really enjoyed it and was sorry (again) that it sat on my bedside table for so long. The author, Jeannette Walls, is the author of "The Glass Castle". My mom told me about The Glass Castle a couple years ago, but something about it has made me not want to read it.

When she brought me this book, I was hesitant. She said, "It's not like The Glass Castle at all. This is about the author's grandmother". So I said I'd give it a try. I liked it so much it has made me want to read The Glass Castle.

Anyway, Lily Casey (and then eventually Smith) is Ms. Wall's grandma. She was born and raised on ranches in Texas and New Mexico. She leaves at a very young age to teach in a one room school house (after going to boarding school herself) in Arizona. That's how the story starts out. I won't bore you with details of the plot.

I'll just tell you why I liked the book.

1) It is organized in short vignettes and sections within the book. This was perfect for me because I was able to read little bits at a time and wasn't feeling like I was missing anything.

2) It's told in 1st person and you really get a sense of who Lily Casey Smith was (at least how her granddaughter remembered and interpreted her). She was quite the character and becomes endearing in her own little way. She's exactly how I picture a woman of the west in the early 20th century to be. I didn't know Rusty's grandma very well, but from what I hear, Lily Smith reminds me of her. I don't know if it's a generational thing or more like a rancher thing, but it's interesting.

3) The book had a "These is my Words" feel to it, but it was clearly more realistic. Not because These is my Words was unrealistic, but because I knew Lily Casey Smith actually existed and much of the story could be verified. I don't know why that was important to me, but it was.

4) It made me wish I had asked my own grandmother questions about herself before she died. I was too young to care or understand how important this would become to me, but I never really knew my grandmothers on either side. I think that's sad, and wish I had cared more.

I highly recommend the book. It's entertaining, fun, light and a quick read.

1 comment:

tarable said...

This book is on my Goodreads list and I think I'll move it to the top since you liked it. Thanks for the review!