I was reading the blog of a friend from high school and she recommended this book. She was an English major, so I thought, she must know what she's talking about.The literary skill of this author was amazing, there's no doubt about that. But the subject matter was very difficult. I didn't know it was made into a movie until I started telling people I was reading it. I don't know why anyone would want to watch this movie.
The book is so depressing, and me being the casual reader that I am, wanted the author to give me way more information than he did. The setting is in North America somewhere presumably after Armageddon (but you never really find out what happened). It reminded me a lot of I Am Legend, without the zombies. Instead of zombies, there were cannibals, starving just like everyone else, but willing to feed their hunger with humans.
The main characters are "the man" and his son "the boy". The book follows the man and boy across the country toward the coast and warmer weather because they can't sustain life in the place they started. They come across horrific things and nearly starve to death numerous times. It's really a study of human nature and what it means to survive. If you were one of the last survivors, would you keep fighting or give up? Especially when you didn't know what you were fighting for?
It was an interesting concept, but I guess I'm just a weakling. I think I would have given up. Maybe that's because I have a hope for something after this life, a belief in something more than this mortal existence. Or maybe it's because I'm just weak and don't have what it takes. Either way, if you're looking for a book that would cause food for thought, this would be a good one, especially if you like dark drama. If you need something happy in your life, don't touch this one!
No comments:
Post a Comment