Tuesday, April 21, 2009

BABYWISE



I told you my next post was going to be about Babywise! I'm sure this is no news to many of you, but this is THE book for parents as far as getting kids on a schedule. Now, Jack is only 4 weeks old, so it hasn't really proven itself worthy yet, but I'm hoping if I stick to the book, I'll get him sleeping at least 6 hours at night by the time he's 8 weeks.

Everyone has their different parenting philosophies, which you quickly learn once you become one yourself. This book operates under the premise that you as the parent set the schedule for your child (eating, sleeping, etc.) Now, that doesn't mean that you must absolutely stick to the schedule and have no flexibility. It's just a guideline. I found the book to be extremely helpful to me, being a first time mom. Jack pretty much eats on a 3 hour feeding cycle; which means he eats somewhere around 3,6,9 and 12, give or take. Last night he sleep for 4 hours (between 9 and 1). It was so nice to get that extra hour! It won't be healthy for him to sleep longer than 5 hours at night until he's about 8 weeks or so. Most Babywise babies sleep through the night on their own, but some need a little help. I'll let you know if Jack is one of those! ;-)

Speaking of feeding, Rusty has agreed to help me with one night feeding a week (Saturday or Sunday), so I can get a longer stretch of sleep on those days. I have borrowed a pump from my sister (thanks Jel) and so have a storage of milk in the freezer. Rusty just defrosts one of those and feeds it to Jack in a bottle. He takes the bottle no problem, and I just pump the side I would have fed him with when I wake up. We've only done this twice, but it's been nice that Rusty has agreed to help me out. I never thought he'd do something like this. Diapers, on the other hand, are a different story!

2 comments:

Everhart Family said...

I am a true believer in Babywise! My little Chaddie was sleeping thru the night at 9 weeks & he is healthy & happy! I feel it is all about common sense...which we all know you have:) I wish someone would have told me about it with our daughter. Good luck & keep it up!

P.S Alyson just had her girl last week. She is doing great!

Kara said...

Hey girl. Send me an invite to your family blog so I can watch your sweet little guy grow

I lived Bsbywise and Toddlerwise with my first two. There is just something about having three that is a little too crazy for structure. Boy so I miss it though...I thrive on structure.