Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Translator: A Tribesman's Memoir of Darfur

This book, written by Daoud Hari, was our book club book for this month. It's a really quick read and gives just a little insight into what is happening in Darfur, Sudan. We have heard things on the news and know that there is genocide occuring, but very few of us probably really knows what's going on. This is just one man's experience and what he has seen there.

I'm so glad my friend Keisha suggested this book. I think it's so important that we strive to understand current events that affect the entire world. With all the talk of government bailout and stimulus packages, lost jobs and homes, it's good to get a global perspective of things.

I met a man from Sudan at the Department of Education last summer as I was applying for my reading specialist endorsement. He was applying for a substitute certificate. He earned his bachelor's degree from ASU in political science and is going to school for his MBA. We struck up a really brief conversation and I knew we were going to read a book about Darfur in book club, so I asked him about it. His name is Deng Atem and he runs a non-profit organization to help the Sudanese (see www.s4sf.org). Anyway, I kept in touch with him and invited him to come to our book club discussion last Friday night. He agreed and it was so interesting!

If you know anything about Sudan, you have heard of the Lost Boys. Deng was one of these. His village in Southern Sudan was destroyed when he was 6 years old. He, along with many others, walked to Ethiopia to live in a refugee camp for a few years. Through a series of events, he lived in different refugee camps in different countries and even served in the military until he was 17 years old. He ended up in a camp in Kenya where the U.S. took some of these boys and brought them to America. Deng ended up in Phoenix. His stories were compelling, and although he had a different experience than Daoud, it still helped us see what life in that part of Africa is really like.

Needless to say, it really got me thinking about the blessings we all have. I know many people are losing their homes and their jobs and it's a scary time for our entire country. But we really don't understand what losing our home could be. For these people, entire villages are being burned down, women and children are raped and killed, 10 year olds are joining the army. Deng hasn't seen his family since he was 6. Even if we lose our homes or jobs, we still have our families, friends and people we can turn to. These people have no one. I really had a sense, after talking with Deng, that we still have so much to give! With our budgets tight and people living pay check to pay check, how many of us would be able to find extra money if we just cancelled cable or Netflix; went out to dinner one less time a month; or didn't get a pedicure that month. We live in a land of plenty and perhaps this downturn in the economy will help us see that we're all a bunch of spoiled brats. Maybe we need a piece of humble pie to help us acknowledge all the blessings we've been given.

Now I don't mean to undermine the serious nature of the economy. I know there are many people really struggling, so I don't want to sound insensitive. But 7.6% unemployment is nothing compared to the devestation other countries see for decades. I highly recommend reading this book, not only so you can see how blessed you are, but maybe you'll find a way to help out someone in need!

No comments: