Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Twilight Saga Ends: Breaking Dawn



So I finally finished Breaking Dawn last night, the last of 4 books in the Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer. If you haven't heard of these books before, I would question where you've been in the last couple years! I read the first 3 thinking that it was a trilogy and couldn't believe she ended it the way she did, until I found out it wasn't the end! This book has been much anticipated by Meyer's fans and I was frustrated it got released the week I went back to work!

If you have not read this series before, I highly recommend it. It's really a romance novel, but not the trashy kind. She is a fantastic author--very quick reading and she gives the characters such personalities that make them so believable. If you have not read Breaking Dawn yet, I would stop reading right now, because I will be giving some things away and you don't want to spoil it!

I don't know if it's just because I'm in a different place now, hormonal or feeling like throwing up every 5 minutes, but I don't think I liked this book as much as the others. There were a couple things I just couldn't get past, and so it bugged me the whole time. First of all, I just couldn't help but think "Is there really such love out there? Can anyone really love another as unconditionally as Bella and Edward?" I mean, I love my husband, but would I really go through all of that for him? Not sure. Maybe it just shows you how unloving I am. The first three books had gooshy romance in them too, and for some reason I bought it--so I think it's just me right now!

Second, I just could not believe Edward could get Bella pregnant. If you don't have blood pumping in your body, or oxygen, how can you have living sperm? It just didn't make sense to me. I know it's not supposed to be realistic, but come on. I just couldn't get past it!

And last, if they knew they had a month before the Volturi came to them, why didn't they go to the Volturi? I understand that the month gave them time to prepare, but it just seemed like they could have taken a flight and been there in a day, trying to clear everything up. Why did they stay and wait for the Volturi?

That being said, I really did like the conclusion of the saga. Everyone ends up being happy in the end. I love that Bella was suited to be a vampire and that her relationship with Jacob is resolved because of Renesmee. (By the way, any ideas on how to actually say that?) It doesn't make you feel so bad that she lost her "normal" human life because she was supposed to be a vampire all along.

Oh, and one last thing--reading how Bella's pregnancy went makes me feel not so bad about mine. At least the baby inside of me isn't inadvertantly trying to kill me! (Morning sickness still sucks though--I just threw up again about 5 minutes ago).

So those of you who have read it, I want to hear your comments! What did you think?

2 comments:

Darin Leon said...

I thought it was the Twilght cycle. I get your point though. She rushes through the book. The one mouth thing though is to let the witnesses watch Remese grow. I am so scared to start school though.

Unknown said...

Well I just did a post on my blog about the book- so you'll have to read it- but I loved it! I agree about the end- not as much fight as I wanted, but everyone is happy in the end- and that's what's important. And I do believe in the love between Edward and Bella. In some ways I can relate to her because I feel that way about Ryan. I know that I would do anything I could to save him or one of my kids- even give up my own life. So I thought it was a good portrayl of a husband wife relationship.