My sister, Jennifer, was over at my house with her kids (pictured in my profile picture) today. She asked me for a book to read. My favorite question to answer! I was asking her, what kind do you want? Inspirational? Easy Read? Fantasy? She decided on the inspirational, and I sent her home with 2 of Mitch Albom's books.
The first, "The Five People You Meet in Heaven", we read in book club the first year it began. It was a great book for book club and we had a great discussion about it. To my knowledge, all of Mitch Albom's books are very short and easy to read. At book club we also watched the movie staring Jon Voight. I highly recommend watching it. If you're not a reader, you need to put this book in your Netflix queue! I felt like it was very inspirational, and I read it shortly after my niece London died. I just really put into perspective what our life is all about.
The other book I gave Jel was "For One More Day", Albom's latest book. This was the other book I read while in Cabo that I couldn't remember. Again, it's a quick read, but carries a very powerful message. These two books are fiction, but you really feel like the characters are real and what happened could happen. If you are needing a pick me up, check them out! WARNING: Unless you are very hard-hearted, you will cry!
I've also read "Tuesdays With Morrie", Albom's first book. This is a non-fiction, and describes the last days of one of Albom's college professors. Morrie got Lou Gehrig's disease, and Albom goes to visit him once a week as he's dying. I love Morrie's outlook on life and how he accepted his impending death. This book I definitely cried in more than the others, but is one that everyone should read about once a year, just to keep a perspective on things. One thing that I really liked that Morrie did was have his funeral BEFORE he died. It was a party, a celebration, that he actually got to hear all the nice things about himself! (Of course, I believe that our spirits can participate in the funeral anyway, but I suppose it's not the same!)
I'm trying to make these entries shorter, but it just doesn't seem to be happening! Those of you who know me are not surprised by this as I tend to be quite the talker! Sorry!
The first, "The Five People You Meet in Heaven", we read in book club the first year it began. It was a great book for book club and we had a great discussion about it. To my knowledge, all of Mitch Albom's books are very short and easy to read. At book club we also watched the movie staring Jon Voight. I highly recommend watching it. If you're not a reader, you need to put this book in your Netflix queue! I felt like it was very inspirational, and I read it shortly after my niece London died. I just really put into perspective what our life is all about.
The other book I gave Jel was "For One More Day", Albom's latest book. This was the other book I read while in Cabo that I couldn't remember. Again, it's a quick read, but carries a very powerful message. These two books are fiction, but you really feel like the characters are real and what happened could happen. If you are needing a pick me up, check them out! WARNING: Unless you are very hard-hearted, you will cry!
I've also read "Tuesdays With Morrie", Albom's first book. This is a non-fiction, and describes the last days of one of Albom's college professors. Morrie got Lou Gehrig's disease, and Albom goes to visit him once a week as he's dying. I love Morrie's outlook on life and how he accepted his impending death. This book I definitely cried in more than the others, but is one that everyone should read about once a year, just to keep a perspective on things. One thing that I really liked that Morrie did was have his funeral BEFORE he died. It was a party, a celebration, that he actually got to hear all the nice things about himself! (Of course, I believe that our spirits can participate in the funeral anyway, but I suppose it's not the same!)I'm trying to make these entries shorter, but it just doesn't seem to be happening! Those of you who know me are not surprised by this as I tend to be quite the talker! Sorry!
5 comments:
I love these books, though I haven't read his latest. I used Tuesdays as unit when I taught Jr. English and my hard core juvies even wept at the end!
Have you read the Secret Life of Bees? I hear it's good and plan on picking it up on my next trip to the library.
Tuesdays with Morrie is one of my favorite books. I started reading Five People You'll Meet in Heaven but I never finished it. I should pick it up again.
I so enjoy your blog, Nancy. I've never been one to just pick a random book. I always need a recommendation first, so now I have no excuse to not be reading.
I do recommend finishing The Five People You Meet In Heaven. It has a very powerful message. I'm glad you enjoy my blog! I enjoy everyone else's, with all their pictures and things, but I guess that's just not me! Maybe someday soon....:-)
I think I need to read these books, I need some feel good things in my life right now! Are you excited for school to start? I am looking forward to seeing you!
Thanks for the books- they were great. I just finished "one more day" last night- and I didn't cry! I guess it was just too late at night and all my emotion has been zaped by my kids!
Post a Comment